Operational Director Job Description
REPORTS TO: Board of Directors
POSITION SUMMARY: The Operational Director will be responsible for the administration and management of HCC in accordance with Board Policies and state and federal law. The ideal candidate will be a strong, visionary leader with superior communication and management skills. Proven experience as an Education Administrator is a must.
FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB
- Develop an organizational chart indicating the channels of authority and reporting relationship for school personnel. These channels should be followed, and no level should be bypassed, except in unusual circumstances
- Oversees the Education Director and administrative staff
- Recommend policies or policy changes to the Board as needed to improve student success, develop procedures that implement Board policy, and implement Board policies and administrative regulations.
- Represent the Board of Directors as the liaison between the Board and the Charter School community.
- Assume the responsibility for the attendance, and health of all students.
- Exercise decisive leadership in crisis situations.
- Assume responsibility for the safety and management of the school grounds.
- Organize, reorganize and arrange the administrative and supervisory staff, including instruction and business affairs, as best serves the Charter School, subject to the approval of the Board.
- Recommend contracts for maintenance and assist in all facility related needs.
- Prepare State reports regarding school facilities.
- Oversee the maintenance of adequate records for the Charter School, including a system of financial accounts, business and property records, personnel, school population, and scholastic records. Act as custodian of such records and of all contracts, securities, documents, and title papers. Management of all assets will be in accordance with the Bylaws and Policies of the Charter School, and will be Board approved.
- Supervise the preparation of the annual operating budget
- Recommendation and implement the Board approved budget. Approve and direct, in accordance with law and regulations of the Board, purchases and expenditures within the limits of the approved budget.
- Coordinate annual testing, Title I, Title II, Title III/LEP and other federal programs.
- Approve purchases that benefit the most efficient and functional operation of the Charter School.
- Inform the Charter Commission about activities at the school as needed, and forward or cause to be forwarded required reports, including the annual report to be delivered to the Charter Commission.
- Prepares and submits to the Board of Directors recommendations relative to all matters requiring Board action, placing before the Board such necessary and helpful facts, information, and reports as are needed to insure the making of informed decisions.
- Attend and participate in meetings of the Board of Directors and its committees, except when his/her employment or salary is under consideration or when there is an executive meeting, unless at the request of the Board of Directors.
Physical/Visual Activities or Demands: Physical/visual activities or demands that are commonly associated with the performance of the functions of this job.
- Standing, walking, sitting, reaching, talking, and hearing.
- Normal attention with clarity of vision at 20 inches or less as well as 20 feet or more and field of vision that can be seen up and down or to right or left while fixed on point, required.
- Light physical demand with regular lifting of very light to light (1 to 25 lbs.) items by hand.
Environmental/Atmospheric Conditions: Environmental and atmospheric conditions commonly associated with the performance of the functions of this job. Typical office conditions.
POSITION QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
Education: Broad knowledge of an advanced and professionally specialized discipline or other studies not available in undergraduate schools, involving advanced theoretical knowledge within a specialized field equivalent to a Master’s degree. A Master’s degree in educational administration is required
Experience: Requires a minimum of seven years of education experience as a building principal or assistant principal. In addition, the candidate must also have successful classroom teaching, practical experience in instructional management, effective teaching models, and curriculum development/implementation and evaluation.
Skills and Abilities which may be representative but not all inclusive of those commonly associated with this position:
- Demonstrate positive and effective interpersonal skills.
- Work effectively with colleagues, parents, other stakeholders, unions, community members, school groups and organizations.
- Read, write, and speak at an advanced level.
- Apply principles of rational systems to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral diagrammatic, or schedule form.
Machines, Tools, Equipment and Work Aids which may be representative but not all inclusive of those commonly associated with this position will include computers, technology hardware, and related software.
License(s)/Certification(s) Required: Principal’s or Education Administration Certificate for the appropriate level issued by the Idaho Department of Education.
Salary Range: Salary dependent upon experience and certification
*Applications for the above position will be accepted until the position is filled.
Note : This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees may be required to follow other job-related instructions and to perform other job-related duties as requested. Certain job functions described herein may be subject to possible modification in accordance with applicable state and federal laws. Also, “Commonly associated” is not intended to mean always or only. There are different experiences that suggest other ways or circumstances where reasonable changes or accommodations are appropriate. All activities, Demands, Conditions and Requirements are linked to Essential Job Functions unless marked with an asterisk which denotes linkage only to marginal functions.