1st & 2nd Grade
Give to Hayden Canyon Charter
Blended Grades 1-2
ELA+ Science/Engineering & Social Studies:
- The 1st-2nd grade ELA curriculum is driven primarily by Science and Engineering Themes which are aligned with the Idaho state Science and Engineering Standards for the K-2 grade band requirements.
- They are laid out in 4 modules, which also address Social Studies themes such as community, helping, showing kindness, and caring for our world as good stewards.
- Module 1: Tools and Work
- Module 2: A study of the Sun, Moon, and Stars
- Module 3: Birds’ Amazing Bodies
- Module 4: Caring for Birds
- Module 1: Schools and Community
- Module 2: Fossils tell of Earth’s Changes
- Module 3: Plants and Pollinators
- Module 4: Providing for Pollinators
Math: Singapore Math, Engage NY (TBD) and/or Learnzillion.com supports.
- Math concepts will be woven into the ELA + Science/Engineering, and ELA + Social Studies driven expeditions at every opportunity, to experience real-world, applied understandings.
- Some students will be learning the 1st grade content standards, while others will learn the 2nd grade content standards.
- Because we have blended grade teams of teachers at HCC, students will have the support they need to reach mastery of grade level content.
- Students may advance at their own pace, and we will work with them to reach proficiency for each standard.
- If a student is advanced, they may spend Math Connect time with a 3rd-4th grade group, or they may learn the advanced concepts within a group in their same blended grade.
1st grade Standards:
- Module 1: Sums and Differences to 10
- Module 2: Introduction to Place Value through Addition and Subtraction within 20
- Module 3: Ordering and Comparing Length Measurements as Numbers
- Module 4: Place Value Comparison, Addition and Subtraction to 40
- Module 5: Identifying, Composing, and Partitioning Shapes (Whole vs. Parts—> equal parts added = whole)
- Module 6: Place Value, Comparison, Addition and Subtraction to 100
2nd Grade Standards:
- Module 1: Sums and Differences to 20
- Module 2: Addition and Subtraction of Length Units
- Module 3: Place Value, Counting and Comparison of Numbers to 100
- Module 4: Addition and Subtraction within 200 with Word Problems to 100
- Module 5: Addition and Subtraction within 1000 with Word Problems to 100
- Module 6: Foundations of Multiplication and Division